Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Job Interview Question - Why Has It Taken You SUCH A LONG TIME To Find A Job?

It's difficult to think that employers remain asking this kind of query. Don't they read the newspapers or pay attention to the news? If they were informed, they might know the answer; i.e. jobs are very scarce and difficult to acquire these days, and unemployment reaches an all period high since 1994 - in some areas reaching 14% - 30%. (Sri Lanka)

Unfortunately, quoting these details probably wouldn't get you employment offer and could even lead to the interview ending in short order. Therefore, what is the right answer to provide an interviewer if you are asked such a issue? There is absolutely no "correct" answer. However, a technique that works well is to consider the focus off the length of your task search and to place it on what you have to give you.

If you look at it from the employer's part, you can view a different perspective. It's a "hiring" marketplace, and employers are getting so many resumes they have their selection of among many very qualified applicants. When interviewers ask a question about the length of your unemployment, among their concerns could be that you are undesirable or flawed - (If nobody else wanted to hire you, why would they would like to hire you?)

Your job, as the candidate, is to convince them you have valuable abilities and to be able to sell yourself as the solution with their problem. Using the examples below, which of these sample answers would impress you most if you were the interviewer?

Q. "Why are you out of work such a long time?"

A#1. I knew the job market was tight, and I didn't go out and make an effort to get just any work. I took my time thinking about finding the "right" job. I know your job would be a very good fit for my abilities and background.

A#2. It's a really tight job marketplace out there, and it simply hasn't been simple to obtain interviews. My skills just didn't seem to maintain demand, and your competition is really tough.

A#3. I'm really not sure. I have a great background with five years experience in this industry, and I have knowledge of several software programs. I know there are other people out there with comparable skills. What sets me in addition to the masses are my capabilities to relate and also to work with a wide diversity of customers. Having the unique mixture of technical abilities and people skills has helped me advance in the companies I've worked for in the past.

If you selected A#3 as the strongest answer, you are correct. Finding employment - The Secrets of Successful Job Seekers offers even more information about what you could provide to the organization and takes the concentrate off why it has taken you such a long time to find a job. You do not dodge the query; you just change the focus. A key phrase in this solution is "set me apart from the masses." It is important to point out what makes you unique, and everything you have to offer that others usually do not.

If you are getting interviews, it implies that you have valuable abilities that are of interest to this employer. Now, the strategy is to focus on the qualifications you can bring to this position as the solution to their needs.

By scripting your response in preparation for this type of difficult question prior to the interview, you will feel more confident and more in control. You will also have the ability to keep the focus off the space of your job search and more centered on why you are the best person for this job. Doing pre-interview planning about the message you want the interviewer to receive will improve your likelihood of being taken significantly as a candidate.